Friday, April 27, 2012

Casey James Again!

I cannot say I am much of a country music fan.  I don't hate it and have enjoyed some of the country music that's turned mainstream, but if I listened to a country music station, most of it would sound like the same song to me.

Anyway, Casey James.. I became a fan late last summer after I happened upon an acoustic show right in my town.  When I discovered Casey was returning to my area on a night that was doable for me, I really couldn't not go, even though I needed to be a bit late.  I darted toward the venue and heard the beat of the band; I knew this would be a different experience than the outdoor acoustic show I attended.  As I opened the heavy door, I was instantly hit with a strong, smooth, bluesy vibe and felt like I was right where I should have been at that moment.

I have to say that Casey has an appeal that crosses genres.  I don't think you have to be a country fan to enjoy his music.  This was rock..this was singer-songwriter...of course it was country as well. But what appeals to me about Casey's music really struck me last night as I watched him rock out.. the music was just him.  He was connected to the music, believed in what he was singing. He was so comfortable and natural and easy.  The Casey-written songs were actually more enjoyable than the covers.  I tend to be drawn to artists who are genuine and repelled by those who aren't.  Casey is genuine.

An observation...during my first Casey show, Casey had this adorable habit of profusely thanking the audience over and over for coming out (when we should have been thanking him for doing a free show for our community).  Not so much during this show.  Instead, Casey seemed to be right at home onstage - he was in his element, as if he was a country rock-star.   And that he is!  The months of performing for fans and the release of a major label cd must have colored him with that "I really do belong up here" conviction. That is not to say that he lost his humble kindness; once again, he opened himself up to after-show pictures and conversations with fans. I did get a quick picture with him and he said he hoped I'd come out again... well, of course I will.

My one complaint during my first Casey show was that the show ended abruptly and somewhat unexpectedly.  Not the case last night because he absolutely played and sang the hell out of "Polk Salad Annie."  Then he punctuated the night with "Done Made Up My Mind."   There was no doubt that we got a full show, start to finish, rather than just a setlist. "Let's Don't Call It a Night" was a mid-show climax with nearly everyone singing along, showing that there are Casey fans everywhere. At first, I took the excitement over that song as a sign that the Casey hardcore fans all traveled to Akron. However, today my sister texted me that she was jealous that I saw Casey James - however, she didn't know him from Idol, but knew him as a new artist with a great single on country radio.  Casey is arriving!

Other favorites: "Crying on a Suitcase," "Love the Way You Miss Me," "When I'm Feeling Blue." Good stuff...I recommend you give his cd (or better yet, a concert) a try if you haven't yet!

4 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you heard Casey do a live performance..once you do you love him!! He is REAL and GENUINE!! He has such a blusey tone to his voice and amazing guitars skills.. Listen to his lyrics and phrasing..you will never forget how truly awesome he is! Im proud to be a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So many layers of awesomeness to discover with him..

      Delete
  2. Immensely enjoyed your review. Agreed to every bit of word you say about Casey as an artist. I actually hope people forget (or does not know) he's from Idol because he's so much than what the show is about. I smiled on the story of your sister's :) Thanks for this, will be rooting for him for who-knows-how-long time.

    ReplyDelete