Saturday, August 20, 2011

Casey James, Main Street Festival 8/20/11

Before today, I really wasn't a fan of Casey James. I couldn't tell you a single thing he sang on Idol. Last week, I started hearing something about his new single..and to be honest, I wasn't completely sure who he was. After verifying he didn't growl and cry/hyperventilate in an over-the-top manner during Season 10, I vaguely remembered voting a few times for Crystal AND Lee in the S9 Idol Top 3 because I didn't want him in the finale (ouch, right?). Therefore, to me, Casey just wasn't memorable. I didn't dislike him, but I guess you could say I didn't really "get" him.

Fast forward to the Friday that I hear Casey is coming to town the next day. I love live music, particularly when it comes from former Idol contestants since they can actually sing. So of course I decided to go. I think it is safe to say that I won't forget him after this night.

Casey nailed it in every possible area: graciousness, pitch, banter, musicality, stage presence, personality. Even punctuality; there was no waiting around 45 minutes - he started right at 8. Casey's voice has an amazing tone and television does not do him justice. Between his richer-than-expected voice and amazing guitar skills, any criticism I (vaguely) remember having of him during Idol (e.g., "his voice is too thin") seemed a bit faulty. I am amazed I liked the music so much with no familiarity of any of the songs. My favorite was a ballad called "Why I'm Feeling Blue"; I enjoyed the warm, bluesy honesty.

And as for Casey's graciousness: he started his set by telling us he feels at home, and he offered a humble "thanks, ya'll" after nearly every song. One thing I've picked up from locals in the two years I have lived here is that they have a lot of pride in North Canton and it's growth; Casey was aware of this and made reference to some of the positive changes happening in this town. As if his onstage presence wasn't enough, he announced that he would be free after his set for as long as it would take to meet everyone who's interested. Thanks to the adrenaline from the great show, I did want to meet him (to see him up close, get a physical reminder of the great show, and tell him how much I enjoyed his music). Casey continued to tell fans he was grateful for the opportunity to play here, personalized each autograph, and posed for an individual (or family) picture...with everyone in line. This had to have been a two-hour commitment, but Casey seemed happy to do it.

A favorite part of my concert experiences is people-watching. The crowd was very polite and I did not witness any bad behavior to shake my head at. The locals around me were gushing about how they have never had anyone so famous at the Main Street Festival and how attendance seems much better than usual. I heard an older couple next to me talking about how great Casey sounded, and a couple of older women discussing how adorable he was. A husband suggested his wife just "run up and give him a kiss and get it over with" and they laughed heartily. Positive buzz was coming from all over; I think he definitely gained some new fans. (And while I smiled at what the older fans were saying, there were fans of all ages enjoying the show....there were more than a few little girls and teens giddy about meeting Casey).

From this point forward, I know I'll remember who Casey James is. He's an unassuming guy who made a small, close-knit community happy for an evening with his time, talent, and generosity. I am really excited that a record label has recognized his talent and that there is new music coming out soon; when that happens, I'll remember him as an artist worth supporting. If Casey comes near your town, I'd say he is definitely worth checking out, even if you are initially thinking "Casey who?"

22 comments:

  1. Nice review! Excellent capture of how Casey affected you. You'll have his long time fans smiling all over the world when they read this. I love that you admitted that you just didn't 'get' his music while he was on Idol. What you heard tonight is just a taste, however. This guy runs deep. Get into his real bluesy stuff (eg "Too Sweet for Me" and "Drowning on Dry Land") and check out his Idol cover song, "I Got Mine" on Youtube! His blues, rock, and country all come together in his music! He's just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! Thank you for this awesome recap and fessing up about seeing Casey as 'not memorable' from Idol, it's ok, we forgive you for not jumping on the Casey train right away!! LOL!!! Not everybody saw what us long timers did. By the way....what are you still doing up Cyndee?? She's a long timer too!
    I have a site dedicated to following his career and I LOVE writing about him! If you don't mind, I would love to post this on my page for other fans to see, because it is a real good testiment of how Casey is bringing people into his music!

    Thanks alot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops....forgot to leave the link to my blog, in case you'd like to check it out!

    http://www.caseymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved "Why I'm Feeling Blue" too! Thanks for letting people know what a treasure Casey is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No doubt about it- to see and hear Casey is to love him- I can feel his well deserved popularity growing by the minute. You go, CASEY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was not a huge fan of Casey's during his run on Idol. I thought he was okay - Jealous Guy was great - but overall, wasn't planning on following him after the show. Then I saw his hometown videos at Key's Lounge (worth checking out on Youtube) and I was hooked.

    This guy is the real deal. Can't wait to hear more and more of his music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: graciousness/ saying "thanks, y'all".

    Always has been that way. When he performed for enthusiastic hometown crowd in Ft Worth, he commented "oh, you're too kind!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys! The Casey James fans seem so nice, just like Casey. I think I have some catching up to do with post-Idol Casey; I am planning on checking out these blogs and finding his music. This rock-country-folk vibe is very nice.

    Feel free to share the review on your blog, GSJordan. My blog is really just a space to slap down reviews to tweet (as opposed to a blog I try to get hits for), so it's ok to either link to the post or copy/paste it onto yours.

    If anyone were to read my other posts, they would see some high praise for David Archuleta after seeing him live, but I want to assure any readers that I don't fall in love with just any artist that I hear live; if I can't write a positive review on someone, I just don't write it.

    I think that, if Casey's goal was just to play some music and attract a few new fans, he surpassed it. I think he totally charmed a good number or people,just on the basis of being himself! Came across as very authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you were able to see what the rest of us Casey fans see..that he is not just a great singer..but that he is that extra something SPECIAL!! Can't wait for the CD to come out it is going to be INCREDIBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your outstanding review of Casey. I have followed him since the Hollywood round on Idol 9 and saw that he had that special "It Factor" and would make the music world a better place. I love that you see it too. You have found your calling (writing reviews). Good Job, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It's so much fun to read something from someone who wasn't familiar with Casey's music before they heard him play and witness the birth of a new Casey fan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Silver! I really appreciate it! I know what you mean, I do my blog to bring the latest news about Casey to all his fans and to have a place for the new fans to come to find out about him! Not for the clicks at all! But it's still pretty cool to know Casey has read it before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silver aka Waterlillies,

    You have no idea how fun it us for to experience someone discovering Casey for the first time. Your story actually got me a little choked up because you came in with an open mind, but low expectations, and walked out a full-fledged fan. That is the power of great music. Casey has a unique way of connecting with fans and has a truly one-of-a-kind talent. A few of us commenting here have devoted quite a bit of time trying to spread the word and it's heartening to learn that we are being joined by new fans like you! Thanks so much for sharing your experience so eloquently!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Caught a typo late...should be "fun it is for us." That's what happens when you don't type on your computer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spot on review! That's exactly how Casey made an impact on me while on Idol. A natural musician, true to himself, humble and worthy of respect and admiration. Thanks for expressing what most of his fans feel about him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW !! Thanks for telling us about your "Casey" experience! I hope a lot more people give him a chance like you did-they'll be hooked for life like I am!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just awesome!!! We still have seats on the Casey Train available but it's nice to have one less to fill!!! Sounds like your first Casey concert was an overall success! That makes us all happy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you silver42. i wish some country magaine, any magazine. or radio station blog would post this revue. it says it all so very well. perfect description of Casey James as we know him! LOVE YOU CASEY

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been a HUGE Casey fan since his stint on Idol - he was my favorite that year and since then, I have played his videos on youtube - so uplifting. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the whole package. His talent is over the top and he is SO easy on the eyes. His success is a blessing to all, as his performance at the North Canton Main Street Festival showed. I grew up nearby and came "home" for the weekend to see his gig; a major thrill. The great tragedy of my life - I am almost old enough to be his mother. Can I say COUGAR? You bet. I'd also take him in if he needs another mother; however, his mother seems lovely and has raised him well. :) Beth @ bebutl7@comcast.net - that's an L before the 7

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks everyone! It is great to know that what came across in one concert is a good representation of Casey!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's something more to add to your files on Casey. Recently his fans got together to raise money to send a fellow-fan to a cancer awareness and fundraising event. This woman has been battling cancer and hasn't had the chance to see Casey in concert. So money was raised for her flight, hotel, and expenses and not only will she be attending the event, Casey's fans are contributing over $600 to the cause! (money's still coming in!) The story is here. Thought you'd enjoy it!
    http://thecaseyjamesblog.com/2011/09/09/goodness-is-contagious/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been blessed to see Casey perform live 4 times (so far) and the unassuming, super talented gracious man you described never wavers! Welcome aboard the Casey fan train! Your in for one heck of a good time!

    ReplyDelete